Things to do and things to miss - there and here

6 comments - Post a comment

On Thursday evening I am taking off to Lithuania for 12 days. Really looking forward. I'm scribbling a list of to-do things. The list in no particular order looks as follows:

* Dentist
* Hairdresser
* Blood test (anaemia to blame)
* Grandma
* A night out with mom (and dad if he is willing)
* Meeting my friends with whom I took a photography course. That's us by the way:



Pinhole photo © Mad


* Exhibition "Among us" in the Contemporary Arts Centre. Give it up for my photography teacher Jurgita Remeikyte who is taking part.

* Classical music concert. This is one of those things I miss most in Ireland. Dublin is great for a pint, but good classical music concerts are scarce. I am not talking just about exploiting National Concert Hall. There are so many churches, why not use them as venues? I remember when I was working next to Curtis Institute of Music in Philadephia (PA) the students were giving free recitals every week. Bear in mind - this is one of the most prestigious conservatories in the world. If these students can do it why those enrolled in studies in Royal Irish Academy of Music can't? Unless they're secret. But if they are at least half decent they shouldn't be!

On the other hand, if there is a good concert coming up, especially with a foreign orchestra, the tickets are expensive beyond belief or they are quite often given away to participants of corporate support before I even manage to hear about the show. By the way, some time ago I was flipping through the pages of "Guardian" and what struck me was the ad of a concert in, I believe, Albert Hall or some other great stage in London where tickets started at 5 or 10 pound sterling. Moreover, a friend of mine went to a premiere in Vienna State Opera House in April for ... a mere 5 Euro. That's Vienna, ladies and gentlemen!

Although... there's an exceptionally good band from some Central European country playing on Grafton St now and again. That's how I try to satisfy my longing for classical music sometimes.

* Three days in the Curonian Spit - a long and narrow sand peninsula spreading between the Baltic Sea and the Curonian lagoon with unique sand waves in the rolling dunes, pine-tree groves and rare flora of the amber coast. As of 2000, the Curonian Spit is on the Unesco World Heritage List.

* Meeting friends in Vilnius' cafes, wine bars and pubs. I have a feeling there won't be that many of them left - distance does affect the intimacy of relationships, I noticed that when I was in Lithuania last time - over a year and a half ago. But then again I can simply enjoy Vilnius' Old Town, read books by new Lithuanian authors and sip masala in my favorite tea shop. Whenever I return to Vilnius I feel a bit like Duris in L'Auberge espagnole when he comes back home.

Last week I received an email from my previous boss in Lithuania saying perhaps I might be convinced to return. If I do I started scribbling the list of things-I'd-miss-if-I-leave-Dublin. To be continued in the next post... Although... in terms of returning - not yet, there are things I would like to do before coming back.


Vilnius | Cathedral Square| photo©Lina Zigelyte

 
This Post has 6 Comments Add your own!
Anonymous - September 2, 2007 at 8:32 PM

Go, you shall. Stay if you must. Just don't stop blogging. Lithuania may need your writing, but Ireland does too.

Lina - September 2, 2007 at 9:36 PM

I hear the encouraging thundering of drums, Primal Sneeze :) If it wasn't for your and some other folks' comments I would not be that inspired to blog. Thanks for reading!

seanachie - September 3, 2007 at 1:52 AM

I've never been to Lithuania (despite knowing a couple of people there) but I'd love to go. Have a great time; I know I would if I went... :)

Alice - September 4, 2007 at 11:35 AM

When I come back to Lithuania, I hit bookshops looking for good books in Lithuanian. Of course, there are books here in Sweden and I can read those in english or in swedish but there is something exceptional about reading text in lithuanian. I was so excited when I saw new poems by Liune Sutema. Finally!

Anonymous - September 5, 2007 at 11:06 AM

If you are spending some time in Neringa, you simply must have a glass of wine in a newly opened In Vino Bar (Taikos g. 32, Nida). There's one thing to avoid though - do not get into any lengthy discussions with one of the owners of this bar (infamous Mr. K.B.) should you see him sitting alone in one of the corners. You will need a lot of wine to wash off all the rudeness and arrogance that will come your way.

Lina - September 5, 2007 at 11:07 PM

thanks for the advice, Labas :)

Post a Comment