A few remarks about Ireland after spending here 4 days

1 comments - Post a comment

It is not easy to get used to the fact that I don't live on my own anymore. I'm a bad housemate and even worse as a roommate. I have to have my space, where others can't set their foot in. I have to have my cell of meditation where I can mumble to myself, scribble to you, perform in front of mirrors and indulge in reflective solitude.

A selfish kick-off for a monday morning.

For the past four days I have been sharing a room of my own with my best friend who after a few years of hesitations, persuasions and dubieties finally boarded "Ryanair" flight to Dublin. And for the past four days my 80 sq feet or so have been flooded with expectations and visions with spells of regret. Although visions prevail. Despite the troubles that emerge because of severe intimacy. On the other hand, my friends observations shed light on some things which I started to forget or got so used to that I barely even notice them. These are as follows:

***
A trip from Dublin Airport on Bus No. 16A. Somewhere around Phibsborough she exclaimed with childish disbelief:

Look! Walking in slippers!

***
Somewhere in town she suddenly scowled with disgust:

The stench of pee!

I hardly even noticed any...

***
After a job interview she was surprised that by the end of it the interviewer called her by name. She remarked it felt very personal.

***
Despite the fact that Eastern Europeans keep slagging off Irish about being fat, my friend was wondering, where are those fat people?

***
TO LET. At first she was thinking these are signs for public TOILETS with the letter I pealed off. I wish...

***
Everybody is nuts about anything organic.

***
In terms of salaries food is inexpensive.

***
She admired the fact that there are zillions of small shops.

***
Wine lists in the restaurants describe wines rather than just stating "Torres Esmeralda" or "Concha Y Torro Cabernet Sauvignon".

***
Pennies is great!

***
"Guinness" is tasty!


I think she'll be just fine in Ireland, won't she?

 
This Post has 1 Comment Add your own!
Anonymous - November 5, 2007 at 2:11 PM

Well... The "organic" seemed like a joke to me as well when I first came here. I changed my mind after eating some of the non-organic tomatoes. And than eating tomatoes back home. A couple of weeks and she'll recognize why all the crazyness :)

Post a Comment