Pitfalls of TOEFL

4 comments - Post a comment

Here I am jumping from one step of the ladder of competence to the other. Preparations for TOEFL could be running smoother.

Firstly, I started to suspect myself of being dyslexic. I guess I'm joining the rest of the band - Leonardo da Vinci, Albert Einstein and Picasso. Then I realized that I'm not concentrating - the bloody era of internet, when you surf between five windows, iTunes, gmail and manage to google at the same time. Moreover, because of spell checkers, kindly supplied with our PCs and laptops, I got used to making spelling mistakes. And finally - I DON'T LIKE AMERICAN PRONUNCIATION, which is one of the features of TOEFL!

Which stage I am at? I guess conscious incompetence, which makes me one step above the starting level and two behind the target. Another month to go. Just found a website saying "Learn English in 10 Days". Which reminds me a conversation between two students.

Do you speak Japanese?
No, when is the exam?

 
This Post has 4 Comments Add your own!
Anonymous - February 2, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Couldn't you opt for IELTS? I took it 5 years ago, no problem at all, and I believe it is much better than TOEFL.

And no need to pronounce words with American accent...

Lina - February 3, 2008 at 11:10 AM

with a bit of research I've discovered that the imitation of American accent, thankfully, might not be necessary :) I could have chosen one or the other and somehow went for TOEFL.

darkman - February 4, 2008 at 12:57 PM

J could have taught you a few phrases in english.

Anonymous - February 12, 2008 at 1:58 PM

I took my TOEFL in 12th grade and wouldn't say it was a big deal. I actually quite enjoyed it. It was fun listening about cows and meteors.:) And in the end, when I was done like half an hour earlier the staff kept looking at me like I was a moron unable to turn a page to find more questions. They even came up to me to ask if something was wrong (nice of them, btw). But nothing was. Maybe the one I had here was easier then those you have. But I suppose it still should be the same Test of English as a Foreign Language.
Anyway, I wish you luck preparing.

Post a Comment