The best news in months - a new cinema house in Dublin opened

6 comments - Post a comment



I am blown away! It is not a parking lot, not yet another supermarket, Pennys or offices. It is a brand new four-screen Light House cinema on Market Square in Smithfield, built after the old Light House Cinema on Abbey St. was shut down in 1996. The brand new cinema is aiming to focus on independent and world cinema and I have to say that their current screenings prove that.

Moreover, the halls have wooden floor! Something very scarce in Ireland. And nobody was eating pop corn during the screening of XXY which we watched yesterday! There are four relatively small screens, with a total capacity of 614. And LOTS AND LOTS OF SPACE!

God, I soooooo would like to exhibit my large format photographs of shut down cinemas of Dublin, which I did for NCAD there. Do you think it would be easy to find sponsorship? I'd need about 300 Euro for paper, darkroom and framing. Should I contact them?

 
This Post has 6 Comments Add your own!
Katherine - May 13, 2008 at 11:36 AM

Hi Lina, definitely contact them, your photos are great. I saw XXY at the Lighthouse cinema at the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed myself. It's a lovely spot!

Derren - May 13, 2008 at 4:21 PM

Hi Lina,

Babylon Radio could be interested in sponsorship.

Can you send me the details?

Thanks,

Derren

Lina - May 13, 2008 at 11:18 PM

Seriously Derren? I guess we all need PR. :) Actually, all of my photo projects during the course in NCAD where 1st class honours, so there's a chance Light House might be interested and if the people see Babylon Radio in the exhibition, I'm sure many people would be wondering what is Babylon Radio and where it is. Anyway, I'll draft a proposal the exhibition tomorrow and will definitely send you the details.

Cian - May 14, 2008 at 11:30 PM

"and nobody was eating pop corn during the screening"

Sounds like you haven't been to the IFI.

Lina - May 15, 2008 at 2:20 AM

Cian, I have been there on numerous occasions and I have to say that it was consumed during a screening of an avant garde movie this spring.
Anyway, not that I have something against pop corn (although sometimes people tend to concentrate on pop corn rather than the movie -judging by the decibels of the act of chomping). I am simply delighted over the fact that something new and not mainstream was (re)started in Dublin.

Cian - May 15, 2008 at 3:31 AM

I've rarely seen anybody eat in there, was just recently jokingly saying the place is for film snobs due to the lack of popcorn. For me, films aren't the same without popcorn (as an IFI member I'm not really being serious).

Anyway, sorry to pick up on single point of popcorn... the opening of the cinema should indeed be welcomed.

Post a Comment