Good bye Ireland!

8 comments - Post a comment

That's it. Finito. Adieu. Tschüss. Slán agat (please correct me if my Irish is wrong).

Good bye Ireland! Hello Nederland!

Dear Lina, in response to your application for admission to Utrecht University we are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted into the Research MA programme Media Studies.

Found out last week. Thus the reason for failing to update this blog more frequently.

Few seem to understand the subject of my studies, when I say that I'm going to Utrecht to study media. Majority think I'm continuing my journalism studies, yet nothing to do with that (and that is the main reason I chose Utrecht)- the programme is very comprehensive and interdisciplinary, focusing on the cultural and historical construction of old and new media and their impact on citizenship and cultural identity (ancient theatre to cinema, interactive television to YouTube, multi-media dance performances to computer games).

After a few months of sorting out the application, preparing for TOEFL and translating my Bachelor's thesis I'm ÜBEREXCITED! Just a few of the courses I'll be taking:

State Of The Art In Media Studies
Technobodies In Cyberspace
Spatiality/Themporality In The (New) Media

Ranked as the 7th best university in Europe in Academic Ranking of World Universities (sandwiched betwen the universities of Paris and Copenhagen and as the 42nd best university in the world, Utrecht looks like a great place to study (yet THES - QS World University Rankings position it slightly lower - # 89 - still pretty good).

So I just need to sort out my finances for the next two years (they've promised assistance). Otherwise I'll start selling the remains of my wine rack, my cameras, my Mac and then myself.

I guess, the rest of my musings will be either hommages to Dublin and the Emerald Isle or oversaturated bitchings about the Orish, which I had in the cold storage up till now and was delaying to post because of the uncertainty about my future.



Utrecht - beautiful, isn't it?

 
This Post has 8 Comments Add your own!
Anonymous - April 18, 2008 at 7:00 AM

Slán leat - singular.
Slán libh - plural.

Okay, that's the language lesson out of they way, so ...

Congratulations! Well done! I envy you, Lina - Utrecht is beautiful and the course sounds fantastic.

Keep the blog going. Keep us up to date with the news. And yes, yes, yes, let's have some of that bitching about the Orish. I can take it ;)

Lina - April 18, 2008 at 6:19 PM

Ok, Primal. Bitching it will be then :)

Anonymous - April 18, 2008 at 8:09 PM

2007: Leading Dutch media theorist publishes general theory of blogging:

http://www.networkcultures.org/geert/
2007/08/13/zero-comments-blogging-and
-critical-internet-culture/

Lina - April 19, 2008 at 12:46 AM

Thanks for the link, anonymous! There's so much reading I should do...

Anonymous - April 21, 2008 at 11:44 AM

agree with Primal's comments, keep up the blogging.

Christophe - May 8, 2008 at 11:56 PM

Ciao Lina!

Have lots of fun!

Roo n Woo: India - July 26, 2008 at 1:41 PM

hey, best of luck!

don't loose ur sarcasm and make sure u get the Dutch astonished with ur photography!

to say, got kinda embarrased that i didn't read ur blog for some time, so catched up fairly quickly! And now subscribed for updates, so that won't happen again :) I really enjoy reading ur thoughts & opinions. keep on blogging!

bathmate - December 26, 2009 at 8:32 PM

Impressive and attractive posting. I enjoyed it. I think others will like it & find it useful for them. Good luck with your work. ;-)

Bathmate

Post a Comment